Monday, February 11, 2013

Hey Rocky! Watch me Pull a Knitter Out of My Hat! - 74,880 sts.

Howdy folks. 

This has been a busy week for me, and I imagine that it has been a busy one for several of you. 

That's just the way things go.

Never the less, I have been diligent and kept up with my socks!  

You can't tell from this photo, but it was actually taken at the sewing studio. Yes....I said sewing studio.

I've been busy making some gowns for a couple of clients who are going to be involved with the 2013 Northwest Plus America Pageant



I can't show you the gowns this week, it just wouldn't be fair, but I'll try to do that next week. 

I'm now up to row 28 on the foot of the socks.  I'm excited because they are looking so happy on the needle. 




Speaking of needles, my NEW needle just arrived from skacel collection, Inc!
They have generously contributed a brand new custom needle for this project, and as soon as I'm done typing this up, I'm going to move the socks over to their new home.
Addi has developed a new needle just for sock knitters called "Sock Rockets" these are turbo needles with a pointier tip. Be sure to ask for them at your local yarn shop!

Okay so back to the socks, it's been a pretty good week, and I was really hoping to be close to the heel turn this weekend, but I don't think that's going to happen.
I am going to be at the Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat this weekend. You'll find me in the Rotunda on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday doing demonstrations on the socks and I will also be spinning on my great wheel.  (If you don't know what a great wheel is...I'll show you next week.)

I'm going to change subjects again and brag on someone very special to me.
I got a package in the mail this week from my mom. She told me she was sending my Valentine's Day package early. I think she wanted me to have it before Madrona.

Would you believe she made me a pair of socks!  Now these aren't just any socks, these are RED socks! And they came with a book. You see.....she was channeling her inner Yarn Harlot and kept a photo journal of her sock knitting journey. BUT....this wasn't just any journey...these socks have been to Hawaii and Australia. They went there for the eclipse that happened in November. Stephanie....beware, you'll be seeing this book this weekend!  

Here's a photo of Brian with the socks, mind you....this is Brian the park ranger in Australia...

Did you notice that mom knits ONE SOCK AT A TIME on DOUBLE POINTS!!!
What can I say....we may be birds of a feather, but maybe I flew the coop too soon.
This was such a wonderful gift, and I will be wearing them proudly on Valentine's Day.

Oh....and look at the special chair she had built for knitting. (How she gets it into her carry on bag, I'll never figure out.)


What's your favorite place to knit? I'd love to hear about it!

Happy Knitting everyone! Hope to see some of you at Madrona!

4 comments:

  1. They are looking great! And, for the record, I'm a one-at-a-time-on-double-points kinda sock knitter, like your mom...I think it's why your project fascinates me so! :)Tell her I love the Valentine socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rocky! watch me pull a rabbit outta this (sock)!

    Not again Bullwinkle...

    RAWR!

    Whoops wrong (sock)!!!

    I wonder what kinda stuff Bullwinkle would pull outta these socks LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are you swapping out your needles - are they breaking or is it the thrill of New Needles (TM)?

    As for the question - my favorite place to knit is on my couch with a nice glass of wine and an old movie playing, but my most frequent place to knit is on the train on my way to work - or wherever I have to go that day. Of course, my little sister didn't believe me so I had to do a "day in the life of knitting my sock" for her (http://bucolicmanor.blogspot.com/2012/05/knitting-sock-5-times.html). Your mom's day looks like it was much more fun!

    Enjoy Medrona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the socks - they're growing nicely! Also like your new red ones from your Mom (red's my favourite colour too!)

    My favourite place to knit is in the garden with the sun shinning and a good audio murder mystery drama!

    ReplyDelete