Monday, February 4, 2013

50,688 Stitches = A LOT of Knitting!

That's right folks (upper right corner even). Thanks to the suggestion of my friend Marcy, I've decided to actually keep count of the number of stitches worked. You'll see the running total on the page, just in case you were curious.  I'm thinking I'm going to knit a row (or several stitches), and then un-knit to get an approximate measurement of how much yarn it takes to make one stitch. Then I'll be able to tell you how many yards of yarn I've used so far!  My high school math teacher, Miss Congioloso would be so proud. See Miss Cong, I did learn more from you than sauerkraut makes and AWESOME chocolate cake!

So...this is what the great Kohlsini has been up to!
 
OOOOOOHHHHHH!

I've worked on a whopping 11 rows so far.
To answer a few questions that popped up in the comments:
1. The needle is a 120" circular Lace Point a ddi needle, from skacel, inc.
2. It takes an hour and half to two hours to knit a complete round.


3. Yes, I knew this going in.
4. No, this is not more practical.
5. Yeah....I do things that are out of the box, ask anyone who knows me.
6. Working on anything else?

I'm so glad you asked!

Yep! I am.
As much as I love knitting, when I want to really take a mental vacation, I spin. (Sorry jocks, not that kind of spinning.)




In the photo you can see me plying some lovely green stuff. My mom won't believe I'm actually working with green, in fact, the color is called (ugh - avocado).  Don't get me wrong, I think that there is a place in every kitchen for avocado...in my kitchen, it would be the garbage disposal. 

So...that's the state of the socks for now.

I'll be teaching again at Makers' Mercantile on Saturday - this is part three of my entrelac class. 
If you've done entrelac before and you just need a refresher, you might want to take the class.
You'll get a lovely patten for a scarf!

By the way...they have a great selection of sock yarns....just sayin.

I hope to see some of you at the Madrona Fiber Arts Festival - I'll be teaching there, and I believe there are still a few openings in my class if you are interested. 

I do look forward to reading your comments.  Tell me...what do you do for your mental vacation?

3 comments:

  1. Again...just wow! They look great, and your math teacher WOULD be proud! How many plies on the green? I have heard that it's not easy bein' green...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sauerkraut in chocolate cake - really??? And if you unknit the stitches to count them, do they count twice? That would only seem fair since the count is for the project. And okay, but only because you asked...I take a mental vacation by knitting socks. Not 24 at a time, just 2. Not in a complex pattern or anything, just plain(ish). Toe-up. Pretty yarn. Addi circs. So relaxing, just knitting, ripping out, fixing it, knitting again, ripping out some more, fixing it. My goal isn't really to end up with socks, it's more of a knitting thing - like fly fishing in your backyard. It's not about catching the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi friend,.... great knitting action with the wrapped headgear and magical Kohlsini gig. I am still hearing from the Vashon knitters about how amazing your project is and how much they enjoyed your sharing with them. You inspire us!

    ReplyDelete